Did you know our bodies are composed of almost 60% water? It’s no wonder every wellness outlet and influencer is always preaching about staying hydrated. Believe the hype. Hydration is crucial to keep your body functions running smoothly. We lose about 500 ml of water every day just from breathing. That doesn’t include what you lose through sweat, urination, or elimination. If you do not adequately replenish, you risk being chronically dehydrated. What you may not know is our water intake (or lack thereof) is directly correlated to stress, anxiety, and other ailments.
You might be dehydrated if you are…
- Feeling stressed
- Experiencing joint pain
- Having a headache
- Undergoing a painful period
- Experiencing allergy-like symptoms
Stay hydrated the SWW™ way:
- Drink your first liter of water as soon as you get up so you fully replace what you lost while sleeping.
- Set yourself up for success by keeping a filled, one-liter water bottle on your nightstand so you can grab it first thing in the morning (we love the SWW™ Water Bottle).
- Add electrolytes to your water to boost hydration, especially after exercise.
- Aim to drink 2-3 liters of water throughout your day (maybe more if you do an intense workout).
- Eat salt. Unrefined sea salt will allow your body to retain water more efficiently.
- Eat water-rich foods like watermelon, cucumbers, melons, bell peppers, and oranges.
- Speaking of eating, drink a glass of water if you start to feel hungry. Our bodies often trigger a hunger cue when we’re dehydrated.
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go.